Packed with flavor and delicious veggies, this refreshing Greek Chicken Bowl will make you feel like you’re on the Island of Santorini, even if just for a moment.
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Calories: 481 kcal
Author: Maria Lichty @ twopeasandtheirpod.com
For the chicken marinade:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1.4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of red pepper flakes
For the Tzatziki sauce:
- 1 medium English Cucumber
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced or pressed
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the bowls:
- 2 cups cooked rice (white, brown, cauliflower), or quinoa
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups chopped cucumber
- 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 cup tzatziki sauce
- 1.2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Lemon wedges for service
- (Optional Garnish) fresh dill and parsley
- Marinating the chicken: In a gallon size Ziploc bag, combine chicken breasts, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Marinate for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour, turning the bag occasionally.
- Making the Tzatziki: Grate the cucumber, using the large holes of a box grater.
- Place the grated cucumber on a paper towel or clean towel and squeeze out the excess water.
- In a medium bowl, combine the grated cucumber, Greek yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, fresh dill, salt, and pepper. Cover and chill.
- When ready to cook the chicken, brush grill grates or a pan with olive oil and heat to medium high heat. Remove the chicken from the bag and discard the marinade.
- Place the chicken breasts on the grill or pan and cook about 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center. Remove the chicken from the grill or pan and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Slice the chicken into thick slices and set aside.
- To assemble the Greek bowls: divide the rice or quinoa among 4 bowls. Top with sliced chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, red onion, tzatziki sauce and feta cheese. If desired, top with a fresh squeeze of lemon juice and herb garnishes. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Saturated Fat: 8g
Vitamin A: 1075IU
Vitamin C: 55.3mg